New Software, New Challenges: Microsoft Virtual Academy

I don’t know if anyone else does this regularly, but I’m always on the hunt for new skills to get down. In this case, I’ve decided it’s well beyond time to get some certifications under my belt. I love self-paced learning, so it took me a bit to narrow down where to start. Since I work heavily in CRM/CMS maintenance, database administration made the most sense.

For those unfamiliar, CRM and CMS stand for “Customer Relationship Management” and “Content Management System” respectively. Donor databases and website backend work are how I spend 85% of my day. The other 15% is social media management, reports, etc. Basically, I’m on the computer all day, every day. And I adore it.

One gem I’m exploring is the Microsoft Virtual Academy. This free, cloud-based training site is a great addition to Microsoft’s certification breakdown. Here’s a quick overview of the training sequence needed for actual certification.

I find it’s easier to do the training on my time, and keep the cash set aside for the real exams. It’s always been how I learn outside the classroom, and to be honest, I just can’t stomach the prices of some of the in-person offerings. That’s not to say they aren’t worth it. I’m just very stringent on how I spend my funds and know my learning style.

As I find more online offerings that might be of use to others, I’ll be sure to share them here.

The Sounding Board Graphic

Hello strangers! It’s been a bit, yeah? Offline adventures can keep the day busy. I’m resuming posts on here again. Expect them on Thursdays and Sundays. Between training and some other engagements, I’m trying to keep the week reasonable. Hope you all are well!

Comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.